Albany Arts Day Approaches
Next week, on February 24, hundreds of artists and arts advocates will gather in Albany, NY, to engage state law makers and elected officials in conversations about the importance of arts programs in New York. The Governor's recently release budget proposal slashes state arts funding by 15%. These cuts represent a minuscule portion of the state's overall budget, but is the life blood for arts organizations across the state. While many in Albany want to turn the focus from funding cuts to the new "I Love NY" campaign, we need to make sure that arts funding is the focal point of Arts Day. Those attending Arts Day will be demonstrating the need for funding and state support for the arts. As the New York State Arts website puts it, "this investment contributes to the economic and social vitality of the entire state."
Below is a schedule for Arts Day 2010:
- 8:30am Check in at Arts Day Headquarters in Hearing Room A in the Legislative Office Building (LOB). Pick up your Arts Day buttons, Briefing papers including Talking points & NYSCA History
- 9:30am Attend Arts Day Briefings led by Judith Weiner and others
- 11am Hear remarks by Assemblyman Steve Englebright and Senator Jose Serrano
If you are planning to attend be sure to:
- Register at the New York State Arts website
- Check out the New York State Arts Blog
- Check out the Arts Day in Albany bus schedule or see who is going to car pool for those who need a ride
- Please let us know email@example.com
And read more about it in next month’s newsletter!